We stopped half way through the trip to have lunch. I was so excited to have a break from the boat and to eat something. When I opened my take-out box that the guest house gave me, I noticed that my fried rice looked peculiarly like the fried rice from dinner the night before. Whatever it was, it wasn’t good. It was cold, super sticky, and tasted awful. During lunch we talked to one of the boys that was in our boat. He was from Mexico and was out travelling by himself. He told us about the flesh eating disease he got when he was in India and how excited he was to try cheap drugs out here. He told Sonja, he would give her his coveted seat in the front of the boat if she would buy him some opium. She politely declined. Then he asked us why we weren’t even curious to try such a glamorous drug as opium. While we were eating we noticed some tourists who had decided to swim downstream from where we were. Sonja and I laughed as we discussed whether we should tell them that they were swimming in everyone’s toilet water. The toilets on our stop were squatters that emptied into the river, and at least twenty people had used it while we were there.

0 comments:

Find It